December is National Impaired Driving Prevention Month. Winter break and all the holidays are times for celebrations! However, being a safe and sober driver is critical at all times, not just during the holidays! Don't drive impaired ..and don't drive while texting ! Pay attention or pay the consequences!
Be alert and take a moment to consider the consequences of texting while driving, or driving while intoxicated:
- Causing injury or death. Think, how would you feel if you hurt a friend because you chose to drive drunk or because you weren't paying attention while texting and driving?
- Being arrested and facing legal charges , court ordered punishments, mandatory enrollment in substance abuse programs, community service, and probation or incarceration (juvenille or adult jail).
- Losing your driving priviledge from DMV Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Having your vehicle impounded.
- Required to have a Vehicle Ignition Lock installed on your vehicle.
- Insurance companies can raise your insurance rates and require other documents.
- Civil (money) lawsuits against you/parents from the other party you hurt. You or your parents, may be responsible to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars which could be taken from paychecks through wage garnishment.
Don't risk it! DON'T drive impaired or get into a vehicle with an impaired driver. You can always call your parent/guardian for a ride home. SADD uggests having a parent/student contract in place beforehand. Click on any of the following resources for more information and see the flyers attached below for helpful ideas about talking with your adolescent about alcohol :
Jacob Hefter Foundation
AV MADD Mothers Against Drunk Driving
SADD Students Against Destructive Decisions
California Department of Motor Vehicles
Los Angeles Sheriff's Department
Los Angeles Fire Department
California Highway Patrol's Teen Impact Program
National Highway Traffic & Safety Administration
Youth Drunk Driver Court Ordered Program
LA County Coroner
City of Lancaster Criminal Justice Commission
Antelope Valley Youth and Family Services
California Alcohol Beverage Control Board
National Organizations of Youth Safety
CHP START SMART Driving Program
Updated Aug 2011; Originally published 2009