Antelope Valley Union High School District

Parents » School for Homeless Students

School for Homeless Students

School Enrollment Info for Homeless Students


You are guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney-Vento Act and California state law! 



Even if you have:

  • Uncertain housing
  • A temporary address
  • No permanent physical address


You are guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney-Vento Act and California state law if you live:

  • In a shelter (family, domestic violence, or youth shelter or transitional living program)
  • In a motel, hotel, or weekly rate housing
  • In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
  • In an abandoned building, in a car, at a campground, or on the street
  • In temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or guardian
  • In substandard housing (without electricity, water, or heat)
  • With friends or family because you are a runaway or an unaccompanied youth

To enroll in or attend school if you live under any of these conditions, you do NOT need to provide:

  • Proof of residency
  • Immunization records or tuberculosis skin-test results
  • School records
  • Legal guardianship papers

You may:

  • Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible.
  • Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled even if you have moved away from that school's attendance zone or district.
  • Receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin.
  • Qualify automatically for child nutrition programs (free and reduced-price lunches and other district food programs).
  • Contact the district liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process.

Parents' responsibilities are to:

  • Make sure your child attends school regularly and completes homework and projects on time.
  • Attend parent/teacher conferences, Back-to-School Nights, and other school-related activities.
  • Stay informed of school rules, regulations, and activities.
  • Participate in school advisory/decision-making activities.

For questions about enrolling in school or for assistance with school enrollment, contact:

Your local school district liaison:

Cheri Kreitz, Director Student Services, AVUHSD 
548 West Lancaster Blvd, Lancaster CA  93534 P
hone (661) 729-2321


Your county liaison for the homeless: Melissa Schoonmaker L.C.S.W. Homeless Consultant Los Angeles County Office of Education 12830 Columbia Way - Room 376 Downey CA 90242   { Phone (562)401-5397


Your state coordinator for the homeless: Leanne Wheeler State Coordinator California Department of Education 1430 N Street, Suite 6208 Sacramento, California 95814 Phone: (866) 856-8214