Thanks go out to all our employees, coaches, and parent volunteers, drivers, chaperones and volunteers in all activities and athletics! Character and fair play are learned through sports and the various clubs and activities. It is your interaction with our students that helps to make a difference in many, many young lives. We are thankful for all you do!
How to Apply? For any type of coaching or volunteering at a high school, you must FIRST APPLY DIRECTLY AT THE SCHOOL SITE
(See listing of schools at www.avdistrict.org/schools
INCOMPLETE PACKETS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
After you submit your packet to the school, the principal must sign it and he/she will send your packet to the District Office for the official approvals and authorization. To save processing time and rejection of INCOMPLETE packets, please ensure your packet is complete WITH photocopies of all required certificates when you submit it to the Athletics Secretary at your school handling your packet. Once the Personnel Department receives your completed packet, you will then be further contacted by a District Office Personnel Department Technician to come-in and complete the clearances required for the particular position. Final clearance notification must be obtained by the District Office before starting in any coaching, advisor or volunteering position!
For security of all our students, please note, YOU ARE NOT cleared to be at a school in any capacity until you receive authorization FROM THE DISTRICT OFFICE. All fingerprinting, drug testing, board approvals and applicable clearance via the ASCC takes some time to process through the state. If you have been asked to coach or volunteer, please DO NOT DELAY in submitting your packet to the school site! Note that fingerprint results and drug test results obtained through other agencies or employers cannot be accepted.
Please keep in mind, aside from being in violation of District AND State Regulations, failure to obtain all certificates and clearances may make your school's team ineligible AND can negate any wins per the state and regional athletic association's rules!
- FINGERPRINTING: After a recommendation for any type of volunteering or any recommendation for coaching employment is made, all volunteers AND employment candidates are required to submit to fingerprint testing. You will be required to pay for the service. The AVUHSD Personnel Office will submit the fingerprints to the California Department of Justice and/or Federal Bureau of Investigation for analysis*. The present rates are $32 for DOJ only, OR $49 DOJ and FBI. The payment is NON-REFUNDABLE regardless of clearance status. *FBI: Any candidate must submit to FBI if you have resided outside the state of California for more than one year OR if it is required for the position you are processing for. Do not proceed unless you have been directed to do so by the Personnel Office. The Personnel Office technician will set an appointment with you to have your fingerprints recorded via "Livescan". This process requires prior authorization with specific and proper forms. All offers of volunteering and/or coaching are contingent upon successful clearance as required by California law. We are not allowed by state and federal laws to accept clearances you have obtained on your own or from other agencies.
- DRUG TESTING: Drug testing is also required for ANY COACHING, ADVISOR or VOLUNTEER POSITION. The technician will also arrange an appointment for the employment candidate to have a drug screen. You will be required to pay for this service. The present fee is $46. The fee is NON-refundable regardless of clearance status. This also requires prior authorization and proper forms. Do not proceed until directed by the personnel office technician. We can not accept drug testing results from other employers or agencies.
- ACTIVITIES SUPERVISOR CERTIFICATE: PAID COACHES/ADVISORS that do not already hold a valid/current teaching credential will be required to obtain the California State Activities Supervisor Clearance Certificate (ASCC). The fingerprint non-refundable fees are $49 for this service (due during finger printing) AND then another $102 must be paid to the state via their website. You must do the online state application WITHIN 30 days of having your fingerprints rolled. The personnel office technician will advise the entire process to you and set appointments as necessary for your livescan appointment with the proper forms and state information. Clearance of the ASCC is handled by the State CTC and usually takes ABOUT 2 weeks, but it may take longer. They will not process incomplete online applications, so be sure you complete everything properly.
- CPR/FIRST AID: Any coach, must obtain and submit proof of CPR/FIRST AID certification. The school site secretary will give you information on how to complete this training with an approved agency such as the American Red Cross. Note: Any "ONLINE cpr/first aid training" that does not offer an actual classroom/hands-on training experience will NOT be accepted, so please ensure you are attending a legitimate training in a classroom setting.
- CIF AND CONCUSSION TRAINING: Any coach, must obtain and submit proof of CIF Training AND Concussion Training. The school site secretary you apply to will give you information on how to complete these training. Depending on the type of coaching, there may be additional state and regional requirements. Talk to the Athletics Secretary at your school site!
- TB TEST: Anyone working around children at a school must provide evidence of freedom from tuberculosis. You may obtain tests for free from the county or from your own medical provider. Click here for further information regarding TB Tests.
- DRIVER: NO ONE is authorized to drive a school vehicle or drive high school students in your own vehicle unless you have been PRE-approved by the District Office. Current faculty and staff must also be pre-approved for driving. You may request the Driver Application Form from your school site secretary. The form will list the necessary items you must supply (such as a particular DMV printout, valid California Driver License, Insurance information, etc ) which you will submit to your school site secretary. The secretary will send your paperwork to the District Office for further processing. You will be further contacted once you are approved via the District Office.
- BOARD OF TRUSTEES APPROVAL: All volunteers, coaches and drivers must be approved before starting by the AVUHSD Board of Trustees. This will be handled by the Personnel Office and is the very last stage required and is AFTER all of the other pre-requisite clearance have been met.
- ANNUAL MANDATED TOPICS TRAINING - Three online training topics to be completed annually! See informational letter attached below. Includes all paid and unpaid coaches and activities folks overseeing and/or working with students. Go to www.avdistrict.org/targetsolutions
- HEALTHY FAMILIES ACT 2014 (AB 1522) INFORMATION is attached below. The act grants some paid sick time for eligible paid TEMPORARY employees such as substitutes, tutors and hourly coaches who are not already covered by an AVUHSD leave plan. (Regular Teachers, Classified Employees, Managers and Leadership already have established paid leave plans). Does not apply to unpaid volunteers.
PLEASE NOTE, AVUHSD does not make any money nor profit from the clearance process fees you pay. The technician which handles your Livescan does NOT make any earnings nor credits of any sort from the clearance process. The technician that handles your fingerprints has already been specially cleared beforehand by the state of California’s Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to roll fingerprints via the Livescan computer.
AVUHSD does not keep the fees you pay. All monies you make payable to AVUHSD on the money order are forwarded by district accountants directly to the state DOJ, FBI and/or medical agency for the clearances you are having performed. All fees are non-refundable regardless of clearance status as the fees you pay GO TO the state DOJ, FBI, and/or medical lab for drug testing. The rates listed are the fees as charged by the state DOJ, FBI or medical agency, and are subject to change. We can accept money orders only and the technician will advise you the correct amount to obtain on the money order at the time of processing. (For security purposes we do NOT accept cash, no personal checks, no private company checks, no atm/debit, no credit cards ). If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact a Personnel Services Office technician. We look forward to speaking with you!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER The Antelope Valley Union High School District is committed to offering an employment and educational environment free from discrimination with respect to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, gender, actual or perceived sexual orientation, or any other unlawful consideration.
Diversity is one of the defining strengths of America, and the diversity of the Antelope Valley Union High School District workforce is essential in the preparation of our students with academic, technical, and work-related skills necessary for success in the 21st century. To accomplish this undertaking, it is essential that we have a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community we serve and educate. The Antelope Valley Union High School District is committed to recruiting, hiring, and retaining highly qualified employees who not only represent our community, but are also dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion that values each individual and promotes collaboration and fairness.
Congratulations to the 2016-17 Volunteers of the Year announced on May 15, 2017!
|Antelope Valley High School
|Eastside High School
|Highland High School
|Knight High School
|Lancaster High School
|Littlerock High School
|Palmdale High School
|Quartz Hill High School
|SOAR High School
|Academies of the AV